Manchester United news: Memphis Depay explains how he was treated like a ‘naughty child’ during his time at Old Trafford

Manchester United news: Memphis Depay explains how he was treated like a ‘naughty child’ during his time at Old Trafford
Former Manchester United winger Memphis Depay claims he was treated like a ‘naughty child’ by Louis van Gaal during his underwhelming spell with the Red Devils.The Dutch forward failed to make an impact at Old Trafford, scoring just two Premier League goals in as many years, before joining Lyon in 2017.Depay has gone from strength to strength since leaving Unitedgetty2
Depay has gone from strength to strength since leaving United
Since then, the 25-year-old has emerged as one of the most gifted players in Europe and in his new autobiography, he explains how he has matured as an individual.Depay reveals that he approached Ryan Giggs for advice on how to improve as a winger, while former Red Devils boss Van Gaal had different ideas.“After I lost my spot in the starting line-up, I asked assistant coach Ryan Giggs to do extra training with me,” Memphis said in his book ‘Heart of a Lion’. “To work on my crosses with my left foot, to become a better winger. After a while Van Gaal asked me to come to his office. He said that there was nothing wrong with my left foot and that the extra training with Giggs was nonsense. Its all in your head, he also told me.“That struck me. I mean, what could be wrong with trying to become a better player, with the help of a former top-winger like Ryan Giggs? More and more I got the feeling I could do nothing good according to Van Gaal.“Later Van Gaal came to me and told me I had to talk with a mental coach he personally knew. My answer was that I wanted to think about that.7. Memphis Depay (winger)getty2
Depay was a shadow of his current self at Old Trafford
“I was still confident that I would succeed at United, as soon as I was adapted to the higher level of football and to my new life in England.“Later on Van Gaal kept on saying that I needed to talk to that mental coach. It would benefit my focus and concentration level, he said. But I didnt feel like talking to a stranger, also because I had my own mental coach since I was twelve already.“Deep inside I felt that it would cause a problem if I didnt do what Van Gaal told me. But I didnt want to be an actor and pretend that I thought it was a good thing to do. Just to please the manager.

LIVE ON talkSPORT

talkSPORT is your home of live football! Here's what's coming up on talkSPORT and talkSPORT 2...
  • France vs South Korea (Friday, 8pm) – talkSPORT
  • Denmark vs Republic of Ireland (Friday, 7:45pm) – talkSPORT 2
  • Croatia vs Wales (Saturday, 2pm) – talkSPORT
  • England vs Scotland (Sunday, 5pm) – talkSPORT
“After my third refusal to talk to that mental coach, Van Gaal didnt speak to me for a long time. I think hes finished with you when you dont follow his advice.“He kept putting me on the bench and at the end of the season he spoke to me again: to say that next year would be even more difficult to me, because United was going to buy new strikers.“Before the last game of the season, the FA Cup-final against Crystal Palace, he even put me on the stands. Like a teacher does at school with a naughty child.”

Matthijs de Ligt is earning rave reviews at Ajax

Kilmarnock will become the first British club to install a safe-standing section for Under-16s and the new rail seats will be entirely funded by their fans. The seats, which can be flipped up and
~ Kilmarnock to install safe standing section for Under-16s

Van Persie scored 132 goals for Arsenal before joining Manchester United
Aaron Wan-Bissaka: Manchester United target confirms he will

Van Dijk was booked for this challenge on Dries Mertens

Mauricio Pochettino dropped a bombshell on the eve of Tottenham Hotspur's Champions League semi-final second leg against Ajax by revealing he would consider walking away from the club if he
Will Mauricio Pochettino leave Spurs this summer? (At the end



The latest revelation by football writer Alan Gernon is that Oxlade-Chamberlain's scarce minutes for Arsenal had a significant reason behind it. Gernon claims in his new book, The Transfer Market: The Inside Stories that a clause in the Englishman's contract meant every time he played 20 minutes for Arsenal, they owed Southampton £10,000.



Manchester United sack Louis van Gaal as Dutch boss receives £5m pay-off with Jose Mourinho preparing to take charge. Louis van Gaal has been dismissed from his role at Manchester United; Jose

United were torn apart by Everton

CRISTIANO RONALDO'S first-half header put Juventus in the box seat in their Champions League tie with Ajax. The Portuguese forward struck a crucial away blow for the Serie A champions just before half-time at Amsterdam Arena. Cristiano Ronaldo's away goal put Juventus in pole position in their tie with AjaxAFP David Neres celebrates his
Fans React as Ronaldo nets 125th Champions League goal | Ajax

N’Golo Kante has endured a frustrating season for Chelsea

Borussia Dortmund 0-1 Tottenham, RESULT (0-4 agg): Harry Kane strike helps Spurs ease into Champions League quarter-finals. Harry Kane scored crucial away goal for Tottenham at start of the second
B Dortmund 0 - 1 Tottenham - Match Report & Highlights

Tottenham ace Heung-Min Son looks frustrated.

Leicester City boss Brendan Rodgers admitted that Ben Chilwell was his main goal in Liverpool and is determined to keep the full-back at the King Power stadium. Chilwell fielded some impressive performances on the left side of Fox's defense this season - and his usual performances earned him a debut in England in September.
Leicester City will face a test of their ambition this summer

McCarthy was manager of Ipswich last season, before being sacked

Next Post Next post: West Ham United fan throws horse manure at Birmingham City supporters prior to FA Cup clash at London Stadium 5 thoughts on " Newport County 2-1 Leicester City: Marc Albrighton handball sees Foxes dumped out of FA Cup by League Two side "
West Ham fans vs. the Board: An insight on why it's boiling

talkSPORT host Jim White received a call from Laurence Bassini

League Two play-off final: LIVE and exclusive talkSPORT coverage of Newport vs Tranmere - preview, match d; Arsene Wenger EXCLUSIVE: Former Arsenal boss explains why Henrikh Mkhitaryan saga makes him; Arsene Wenger EXCLUSIVE: All-English European cup finals due to 'aging squads' of Barcelona, Real Madrid, Juv
All-English European cup finals due to 'aging squads' of

Emery is keen on a reunion with the Spaniard

FOX Champions League Final Coverage Leaves Diehard Fans Out In The Cold Christopher Harris May 28, 2011 General , Leagues: EPL 77 Comments Whether FOX's coverage of the 2011 Champions League Final between Manchester United and Barcelona will be deemed a success or not will depend largely on the TV ratings that the broadcast garners.
Daily Express 2011 04 25 | David Cameron | Diana

Tottenham ace Lucas Moura celebrates his third goal.

Lyon president Jean-Michel Aulas has said that Nabil Fekir's reported move to Liverpool is far from a certainty, denying that there has even been contact between the clubs.
NewsNow: Nabil Fekir news | Breaking News & Search 24/7

Zapata has been linked with a move to Arsenal in the past

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has identified the players he wants out of Manchester United this summer as he begins his overhaul of the squad. Solskjaer has told United executive vice-chairman the players
Manchester United braced for huge summer overhaul with Ole

Anthony Martial scores from the spot

England 5-0 Czech Republic: Raheem Sterling has 'won people over with his football', Stuart Pearce tells talkSPORT. England 5-0 Czech Republic: Raheem
~ England 5-0 Czech Republic: Raheem Sterling nets hat-trick

Post a Comment

0 Comments